Saturday, 31 March 2018

The Unpoised Equality

PV Sindhu wins a silver at olympics , Priyanka Chopra rules across the globe with Quantico, we have many biopics being made on our female achievers. Well these are just a few of those that are highlighted unlike the many. "FEMINSM" is quite a debatable word these days, I see so many women speaking on it and I am glad they do. However there are certain educated people I know who think that "FEMINISM" is an overrated term. They aren't wrong from their perspective because in a world they've  lived women have been brought up with the same grace as men and by their world I mean the metro's.

I'm a blend of a small town and a metro, born and brought in a small town like Shimla and then moving to cities like Mumbai & Delhi to chase my dreams. I'm glad I had that encouragement to do that unlike many who don't get enough oppurtunities. This "blend" becomes damn confusing at times where I struggle to be a bridge between the mentality of the place I've been brought up in and the place where I'm living (metro).

Women in small town still struggle to find a place for themselves professionally, and I know we have won over the issues like female feticide , child marriage and dowry. I'm looking beyond that and I think we need to fight for our professional space as well.
We want to educate our daughters but we also want them to be good at the household stuff. I mean there isn't a problem at being good at the household thing, there are so many house wives who do that , and I'm very sure I will never be able to do it like them.

What I simply mean is out of all the 10 things a women is, career is probably the 9th thing down the line or may be not even that. What tops the list are the qualities like beauty, being domesticated etc etc.
Men and women are physiologically different and we women are not fighting for that. We  are fighting for equity which simply means if it's ok for a man to earn 2 lakhs per month and not know cooking , there shouldn't be a problem with a women not knowing how to cook. Even if a women reaches home at 8 p.m after her office, she is still expected to be a part of the daily home routine unlike the men.

People want women to be in a teaching profession not for a fact that teacher is a mind shaper and they have so much to offer to the society, but simply because it's a 8a.m.to 4p.m.job and this is the how she'll be able to tackle both her house and office.

I really think that  we really need to go beyond a women being able to manage the house, trust me she has so much more to offer.  Let her fly and she'll make you fly along, be her strength today and she'll support you endlessly. We need to fight a mentality not human beings. It's high time we really empower our women in every way especially in our mentalities .

No comments:

Post a Comment